I didn't tell many people about this, but I went to another horror movie convention today. I picked up some things to give away here, more on that tomorrow, so I guess that is why I kept it secret for the most part. I went with some friends so I didn't stay as long as I really wanted to. As much as I like my friends, I get annoyed with them when I go somewhere with them. We agreed to leave by noon, and I showed up a little before only to find that they were just getting out of the shower and wanted to eat lunch before leaving. So 45 minutes after the agreed time, we finally got on the road. They want to make a lap or two, get whatever autographs and leave. Where as I like to hang around, go to the panels if it is something I think I would like, and go to the various movies. Since we got there late and left early, I only got to see one movie. I threw around the idea of going back tomorrow, but I decided against it. If there is a next time with my friends, I think I will just meet them there so I can stay longer if I want.
Wanderlost (2009) was the only movie I got to see, completely anyway. As it happens, this is the first time it was being screened anywhere! This could be the first, or one of the first, reviews for this movie out there then. Normally I would make my own synopsis here, but I think I will go with the one made for the movie this once. Drifter (Mitch Rumfelt) is a train hopping gutter punk, alone in the world, isolated by years of ritual abuse and life on the fringe. He returns to his father’s grave to break the curse that haunts him. Here he sees salvation in a beautiful young artist (Aubrey Adams) who could be his key to freedom, but curses don’t die so easily. Wanderlost is a dark, fantastical two days in the lives of a gutter punk, a graffiti artist (Rob Hunt), a shaman (Imhotep Dlanod), and a young artist. In a world of urban decay, the story unfolds viscerally, embodying a world of art, demons, ghosts, and shamanic journeys.
I added in the actor names, but other than that I didn't change it. I don't know that I could write one for Wanderlost because I never got a grasp on what it was supposed to be about. I didn't ready the synopsis before hand, and you shouldn't need it to figure out the plot for a movie anyway. It is mainly there to grab your interest so you will go see it. As far as figuring out what is happening while watching the movie, we are introduced to four characters. the graffiti artist and drifter come first. Don't know anything about the graffiti artist outside of the fact he uses spray cans to paint on walls. We learn about the drifter some in that he was abused by his dad in different way. Mostly by killing the boy's dog in front of the boy, and cutting himself up in front of the boy. Don't know much about the shaman other than he starts fires the old fashion way, rubbing a stick to cause friction, even though he is blind and can do something like an out of body type thing. The young artist is the same way. We learn she loved her dad a lot and misses him not that he has passed away. The main reason we know so little about every character is because each actor only has a handful of lines to say if they are lucky. Because it is so quiet, as far as dialog, it is very hard to figure out what is going on. Drifter sees young artist, becomes something of a stalker before actually meeting her. That is all well and good, but what does it have to do with anything? He doesn't actually say anything about her being his salvation. I wouldn't have known that if it wasn't for the synopsis.
I came in on the tail end of the movie that was being shown before this one. I noticed then that the volume was a bit on the low side. Thankfully it was turned up for Wanderlost, but they ended up going too loud. What few lines were said could be hard to understand because it was so loud, and in a small room which probably didn't help much either. The acting, for what it was, wasn't all that bad. I did like Aubrey Adams' look though. She has a different look about her that I found interesting. Just too bad she wasn't really given a lot to do. The other two actors you can find are Darren Kohler and Rob Luka. The effects are nothing more than a lot of blood in places. The blood shows up at odd times, which I think those were more dream sequences than anything else.
I don't mind if a movie leaves things to imagination. I am perfectly fine with that, and in fact prefer it usually. Wanderlost however is a bit much for that. Give me something so I know where the movie is going at least. Even when the drifter because a bit of a stalker, I still didn't know what was going on or how all the characters were supposed to fit together. By the end it does all come together, and you sort of figure out what has been going on. For a 92 minute movie though, leaving it to the last 10 or so minutes doesn't really cut it. My friends told me after that they considered walking out before the movie was over, but didn't want to do that. I think the reason why is because some of the people who worked on the movie was in attendance because there was going to be a Q&A after it was over. I was going to stay so I could ask why there was so little dialog in the film, but the room was cleared out so quickly I thought I was going to be the only one there. I could be wrong, but I don't think Wanderlost went over too well for the 50 or so people that watched it. Add to things for me by a tall guy who felt he had to put his hands behind his head and hold his arms out, further blocking the screen, and it didn't work well for me either. I can't blame the guy in front of me, outside of being an annoying asshole, for me not liking it though.
2 out of 5 Still wondering why so little was said


0 Yorumlar