Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

Jeffree Star's "Mr.Diva" - EP Review



     New music keeps pouring out of my beautiful princess, Jeffree Star, but no new full length album seems to be on the horizon just yet. Instead, to keep impatient fans satisfied, Akon's new protege has unleashed an EP featuring two brand new tracks and an extra remix of his single "Prom Night." These new songs will sound great when I see the artist perform live in San Antonio, Texas on Oct. 14, but one is unfortunately way better than the other. So before I start, Star fans, which are you feeling more, "Mr. Diva" or "Legs Up"? Could one of these new offerings help Jeffree break through on mainstream radio? Are either a big hit? Let's break them down shall we?

     The title track alludes to the title we all knew Jeffree held. He really is a fierce diva, and I am saying that as nothing but a compliment. To be honest, the preview of the song Star shared during a live chat scared me. I was not feeling then what is now revealed as the song's intro. When Star's first verse comes up, things get a little better, but then the chorus rolls around and it is sadly disappointing. Couldn't Star's team have come up with something more innovative than the repetitive "na-na-na"? However, when the artist finally screams out "bang your head, break your neck", the singer I grew to love came back out. I am all for Jeffree experimenting with more of a pop sound, but he needs to grow in a little dark, vulgar rock to get my attention as he does during certain parts of this new track. There was just so much wasted time present on the four minute track. More could have been done. Overall, "Mr. Diva" is not Jeffree's greatest effort, but it is okay and will certainly please those waiting for a new album.



     The EP also features "Legs Up", a song that Star teased when the now-scrapped Virginity EP was first announced. To me, the track is hands down the better of the two. Anyone else agree with me? The song opens to a similar sound that would be featured on a Breathe Carolina project. Nothing wrong with that. This is the type of music Jeffree should be releasing. It perfectly mixes his past horror-pop sound with addictive beats and simple lyrics that will surely garner radio attention. Well... at least it should garner radio attention, but unfortunately many may not be open to Star at the moment. Their loss. I enjoyed everything about this offering. Star's vocals are good, maybe some of the best I have heard from him. It makes me want to get up and dance, and hey maybe even make my legs go up, but that's only between me and Jeffree. Would "Legs Up" make a good single? I really believe so. Jeffree is a unique individual who does not conform to what every other pop artist is doing right now. This is why I am a big fan.


     The Mr. Diva EP also features a clean version of the title track which you can skip over. I like my Jeffree with high doses of vulgarity. A tamed Star is not star at all. A remix version of "Prom Night" is included and it may even be better than the original. Altogether, the new extended play is a pretty good buy. Many fans swooped it up as soon as it hit iTunes, I know I did. Now I can't wait for the video treatments Jeffree and his team are coming up with. The Beauty Killer is back!

B

Yorum Gönder

0 Yorumlar